Recycling / Uses for Old Encyclopedia sets

I am searching for instructions to recycle several old encyclopedia sets in our district. There was an exploratorium topic on this at the Pittsburgh AASL Conference, but the link is not working. Please let me know if any of you have access to this information. 

If you have other ideas, please send them also. Please keep in mind that we do not want to:

1. give them to classroom teacehrs because the information is too old
  2. sell them in a book sale - no one will accept them

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I covered my vintage set with shelf paper used them for shelf markers taped a list of favorite authors and titles for each letter. For non-fiction what they could find in each section. Students now can pull it out seems to help them locate materials. 

• I saw some really cool bookmarks made from old book pages on Pinterest.  You could let the students decorate them and laminate.  I've also seen some book Christmas trees for decoration at Christmas time.  I know that probably doesn't solve your problem of getting them out of your way, though.

• I know we don't want to give them to classroom teachers becuase the information is old... but the very young - PREK-1st grade could use them just for pictures... They can cut the pictures out and use them that way.  Just a thought.

This reply was deleted.