I am a brand new librarian for a school that serves pre-k through 6th graders.  I am wanting to get a head start on lesson plans and I would love some information on your favorite resources.  I am anticipating seeing each grade/class for thirty minutes each week.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - 

Amy

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• First you should to revise the school curriculum, before selecting resources.
  • Amy:  I am the author of dozens of children's non-fiction books.  You could Google me at National Geographic Children's Books for a sampling of my publications, the most recent of which, STOLEN INTO SLAVERY, won the Carter Woodson Award for multicultural literature from the National Council for the Social Studies.  That book, which is appropriate for sixth graders, has its own teacher's guide.  I've also written a series of National Geographic books on natural disasters.

Another recent Fradin book, THE PRICE OF FREEDOM, is an inspiring picture history book (Walker Books) for children between third and sixth grade.  I DO hope you have some Fradin books in your library.

Judy Fradin   Co-author, along with my late husband Dennis, of nearly 60 children's non-fiction books.

• http://elementarylibrarian.com

Great lessons and ideas.
    • wow thanks very much for the great link 

awesome 

• 30 minutes will go fast if you are checking out, too. I like to find out what they are doing in class and try to have a book/lesson that tie to that. For example, if they are studying animals, I might read "Color Farm" and "Color Zoo" by Ehlert and have the kids make a Venn diagram of animals they might see in those places. I use plastic animals and hula hoops. I've pretty much made up lessons as I go along but have seen good ideas in Library Sparks Magazine. Sometimes just the book will do. Don't miss "Pete the Cat". There is an audio version on the website and the kids love those. Most of the time I like a physical activity to go along with the book. I also set up centers in my library and kids can visit those if they pick quickly. Some kids pick quick, some kids could take forever.

• Hi Deanna,

I am planning to set up centers in my library. Would it be possible for you to give me some tips on how I should organize it? What kind of activities do you have? How often do you change the centers?

• I started using centers 2 years ago and I try to change them monthly or at least seasonally if I don't have time each month. I try to avoid holiday themed which force you to change them more often.

This reply was deleted.