We are using Voicethread in a number of classes this year and want to do one on athletes. So the question is can we take photos off the internet and add them to voicethread to be viewed by all. My initial reaction is no since we are putting it on the web. Kids are used to creating projects, taking pictures off the Web and adding them to projects. I have gotten them used to sighting the source but these remain within the school walls. Does it differ when putting the images on a website? I am looking for some discussion and thought this might be the place. What lead me here was watching the video Imagine.  As soon as the song started I thought copyright but am guessing it is ok because of its transformative use.  Would that apply to photos? We are not changing them but changing the use of them. If this is not a forum for this type of discussion please let me know.

You need to be a member of TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org) to add comments!

Join TLNing (teacherlibrarian.org)

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have been sorting this out too. I made a slideshow with examples for my teachers and a related blog post too - http://archipelagoblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-first-slideshare-cre...
    Hope it helps -
    elisabeth
  • If you work from Flickr's Creative Commons images you're fine. If you use an AP image, be prepared for litigation.

But what about asking students to take photos of your school's own athletes? Your VoiceThreads will get lots of attention!
    • I have a question about Flickr - If you choose attribution or attribution/non-commericial to use in VoiceThread - where do you post the attribute? For example, let's say the creator of "Why Hawks Eat Chickens" (http://voicethread.com/#q.b46885) found those pictures on Flickr - where are the credits?
      • Good question that I have asked myself. This is what I am planning on doing. I will have them use Creative Commons photos and put them on powerpoint slides then add the attribution to the slide and save the slides as jpg. Then add them to voicethread and the attribution should be there. I do wonder about many sites that have images. I saw a wikipedia article with a picture of a sports figure and the picture looked like a professional shot. Not attribution to it so didn't use it. You just wonder if we are being overly concerned since "everyone does it." Of course that does not make it right.
      • I would recommend placing the attribution as close to the image as possible, especially since a multi-image presentation is likely to include materials from several different sources (photographers), even if they were all collected from one site. I use this New York Times article as a model for how to attribute graphics, for images included as part of the story, as well as for the accompanying slide show...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/books/30reading.html

BTW -- I absolutely LOVE some of the ideas discussed in this article on independent reading. "Instead of teaching common novels that all students in a class read as a group, 'reading workshop' allows students to choose their own books, discuss them individually with their teacher and each other and keep detailed journals about their reading."
    • Good suggestion about using student athletes. Will think about that. Haven't seen alot of professional athletes using creative commons. Thanks
This reply was deleted.